A dental crown is most often used for therapeutic purposes such as:
- Repair a broken tooth.
- Cover a tooth that has been afflicted with dental decay.
- Complete root canal therapy.
- Anchor a dental bridge.
- Final restoration for dental implant.
Porcelain veneers are a much less invasive cosmetic enhancement that can correct many dental maladies:
- Intrinsic stains – Stains resulting from some medications, aging, or excessive discoloration.
- Worn or uneven dental enamel – Misshapen teeth from grinding.
- Chipped teeth – Teeth appear whole again.
- Gaps between teeth – Those spaces disappear.
- Gum recession – Brushing improperly or recession due to aging can be repaired not only improving appearance, but relieving occasional zings that might be felt.
Your cosmetic dentist will perform a thorough dental exam to provide the best treatment to meet your needs. Once dental veneers have been determined your best course of action, treatment will be initiated. At your first appointment, impressions will be taken while teeth are prepped to provide the most accurate veneer in size and shape. The shade closest to your neighboring teeth’s natural color will be selected to provide the most indiscernible treatment available.
In most cases, about two weeks later you will be ready to have your dental veneers placed. Veneers will be tried on to make sure they are a comfortable fit and aesthetically perfect. Your cosmetic dentist can make small adjustments at this time, if needed. Teeth to be treated are etched, veneers are cemented into place, and a laser or curing light is applied to speed up completion.
Your smile makeover is complete by covering one or more teeth with veneers. An added benefit is treated teeth are now stronger than before.
Caring for veneers is similar to caring for your biological teeth. Daily flossing and brushing coupled with twice yearly visits to the dentist will keep your teeth looking their best. It is advisable to avoid biting into hard or sticky foods to prevent the unlikely event that you might break or dislodge your veneers. And although porcelain is stain resistant, avoiding those things such as tea, red wine, cola, berries, dark sauces, and beets will help keep your teeth looking beautiful for many years to come.
Contact our cosmetic dentistry team at Ora Dental Studio to learn more about your options today.